The key man insurance exam is really just a “mini physical” but is likely the single most crucial factor that ultimately affects the rates you pay for your insurance policy. Think of it as the insurance company gets one “snap shot” in time of your health and bases your rates for the next 10-20 years on the results. Therefore, you want to do everything you possibly can to positively impact your numbers.
Key Man Insurance Exam Checklist
To save you time and to obtain the best possible medical results, please follow these helpful suggestions:
- Blood pressure and pulse can be artificially raised by stress, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before the examination.
- Abstain from alcoholic beverages for at least eight hours prior to the exam.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco for at least one hour prior to your examination.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea or caffeinated soft drinks for at least one hour prior to your examination.
- Limit salt intake and high cholesterol foods 24 hours before your examination.
- You should not engage in strenuous physical activities 24 hours before the examination.
- Advise your Paramedical Examiner regarding any medications you are taking, even non-prescription medications.
- Have available your physician’s names, addresses, dates of past visits, names of any prescribed medications and any information regarding injury and major illness during the previous five years.
- If you belong to Kaiser or any other prepaid medical plan, have your medical record number available.
- Drink a glass of water an hour or so before your appointment. This will help in obtaining a urine specimen.
- If a blood specimen is required, you should fast according to provider directives prior to the examination unless otherwise instructed